Monday, April 18, 2011

GIS Course for non-Technical People

Hi everyone;

I posted this to my favourite GIS-related listserve. I thought I would re-circulate it here, to see if any of you have any ideas. I will be sure to post a summary of what I discover here.

Here is the posting:

We at the Miistakis Institute are considering development of a short course in GIS/RS/Mapping aimed at non-technical users of these technologies. Before we dedicate too much effort to this however, we want to make sure we are not re-inventing the wheel, stepping on toes, or creating a redundancy.

I am therefore canvassing the group with the following question:

Do you know of any existing offerings of a non-technical GIS Course?
That is, a course that aims not to teach people how to technically use GIS, but rather to teach the practical applications of GIS: What GIS/RS can (and can't) do, what the technical and data challenges/limitations are, where/how GIS can contribute to the decision-making process, how to communicate effectively with GIS technical people, and so on.

I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions/comments you can offer.

Thanks!
greg

No comments: